Monday, December 11, 2006

The Drawing Studio - 12.03.06

After a Saturday of staring at Sargent and Whistler at the "Americans in Paris" show at the Met, drawing on Sunday at the Drawing Studio was as easy as cake (or is it pie). I was tired and sleep deprived from a night of drinking with some college friends, but i was in a good mood for once and after a few shots of espresso I was ready to rock and roll.


Started off struggling a bit:



but this was my turning point. This is a blind contour drawing done with my left hand (i'm a righty) with the paper against my chest, facing away from me. It may not look like much but it really helped me to focus on what's in front of me.


and here is what happened afterwards:


detail






detail


This exercise is called "5 lbs of bologna in a 3 lb bag". Basically you have to stuff the figure into a box so that there is no negative space. I failed on this one. Exaguration is really not my thing.


This one i did drawing with both hands at the same time. I started with the gray pastel in my left hand and the violet in my right and then moved on to the light blue in my left and peach in my right. I forget which hand used the red but it was used together with one of the other colors.


This one is called "Bug's eye view". You pick a point on the figure and pretend you have a bug's eye. The point gets distorted to the foreground and everything else gets pushed back like a modified fish-eye lens. Once again i failed at it.


back to what i'm good at.


detail






detail




detail



Update 12.16.06:
Forgot to include two more drawings. This first one, after some trouble starting out i turned into a study of the planes in a foreshortened leg. Ever since this drawing i've become more attentive to the planes on the figure (even if it may not show :P)


detail


and this one was done with my left hand and the figure flipped (the model was turned the other way and we had to mirror her).

No comments: